Toll Gates 23 May 2011 14:06 #8997

• PC2E
  • Stunt Rider
  • Thank you received: 8
HI Friends, see below from Zambesi Motorrad

This is criminal, I think that such a rider should be banned from clubs

Hi All,

Hope you guys are doing well?

I just want to give you guys a bit of feedback on the run that we had this Sunday. We where about 28 bikes departing from Zambesi Motorrad, we left the dealership @ 7:15.

The ride to Denyesville was really pleasant, we went along on the Highway got of the high way by Heidelberg, stopped at the Vaal dam wall for the guys to take a few pictures and arrived at Lake avenue inn @ 9:30. Would just like to thank the nice people of Lake avenue inn for the great food and service!

I, how ever have to mention that we had a small incident that could have ended really bad. As a fellow bike rider I always have respect for biker on the road, we were going through the toll gate at Zambesi drive to get onto the highway towards JHB, when the rider with his wife on the back paid their toll fees pulled away with the boom open. a fellow rider came past on his left without wanting to pay a meager R 7,20. The person concerned could have a had a bad accident. I know it’s a pain to stop at a toll to pay. But please always respect your fellow rider. Please see below a Letter from Willem Potgieter.

Hi Rian

Dankie vir die breakfast run Denysville toe. Ten spyte van die insident by die tolhek het ek en my vrou dit baie geniet. Ek sal egter waardeer as jy my e-pos aanstuur na almal wat vandag saamgery het, miskien eerder aan soveel mense moontlik om te probeer verhoed dat so insident met iemand anders gebeur wat dalk nie so gelukkig soos ons wees wat niks oorgekom het nie. Jy is welkom om die onderstaande te verander maar ek dink dit is belangrik dat die boodskap duidelik by almal uitkom.

Groete Willem

Dear Fellow Riders

What my Wife and I planned to be a relaxing ride to Denysville with the guys from Zambezi Auto almost ended in a disaster for us. As we departed from Zambezi Auto we had to proceed onto the highway through the tollgate at Zambezi avenue towards Johannesburg. The far right gate was open so we stopped to pay the fees. When the boom lifted I started to pull away when suddenly another rider (already in motion) passed me on the left hand side without warning. As I approached the boom suddenly came down without warning and I immediately realized I was in serious trouble. I managed to hit the brakes hard and brought the bike to a standstill with the boom stopping at an angle between the front visor of the bike and my face. The rebound of the front shock resulted that the front visor hooked the boom on the inside and I had to move the bike slightly forward to prevent the visor from breaking.

Unfortunately I was so busy trying not to fall or damage my bike that I just saw the person join the rest of the group on the other side of the gate, but was not able to identify the culprit. Now that I have calmed down I still shiver to think what would have happened if my reactions were not so fast and the boom hitting me in the face or on my throat with my wife behind me.

My Wife and I has only recently taking up riding again after many years of doing the parent thing and from what I hear it is apparently a common thing to skip toll gates without paying the fees. I understand that we all hate the toll gates, but it is here to stay and is also governed by law. Passing another tourer inside a tollgate on the left without warning is not only extremely dangerous but also very irresponsible. If I slightly swerved to the left in the process of pulling away the person would have hit me on the side causing both bikes to come down amongst the barriers.

It is also this type of behavior that gives bikers a bad reputation which I would not like to be associated with. I would therefore like to plea with fellow riders to refrain from this type of behavior which will result in injury for innocent non suspecting persons as a result of your own inconsideration. If you do not want to pay toll gate fees you should maybe consider not going along on breakfast runs because you are endangering the lives of your fellow riders.

Kind Regards

Willem Potgieter

On a liter note. We as Zambesi Motorrad would like thank everybody who came along! A special thanks to Martin Minne for helping us with the ride!
Then we also have had our biggest attends this Sunday past as well. Just once again thank you for everybody who was there!

Please remember there is few rides come up in the month of June 2011. We are Planning a Dirt training course on the 11th of June and then we are also going to Magoebaskloof on the 26th of June (nice and cold)

For more info please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards
GMT Motorcycles
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Toll Gates 23 May 2011 15:12 #8998

• Problem_Child
  • Catch me if you can!
  • I want to ride again tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 221
I think Willem's letter is much too mild in manner, and I am sure that if the rider was part of the group, then someone knows something. The culprit should be sought out and an example should be made of him. This is a primary function of any club committee.

Willem should demand action from his committee.
AKA Cliff Hanger

Re: Toll Gates 23 May 2011 16:48 #9001

• KnopKop
  • Stunt Rider
  • EtienneXplore
  • Thank you received: 61
Yup, I agree 100% with the issue raised. It is just plain stupid to do something like that, and it is unacceptable behaviour from a fellow biker, irrespective of what brand of bike is involved.

I would l however like to clarify something on behalf of my fellow committee members and the Club. This was not a Club ride, but a ride organised by BMW Zambezi themselves. The BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria is independent of any dealership. There is nothing wrong with a dealership organising their own rides and to have their own events calendar.
This forum is owned, run and administered by the BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria, but anyone is welcome to register, visit, browse and comment on this forum. And info like this incident at the toll gate is very useful for our members and for all bikers out there. So this is great that it is mentioned here.

Summary:
* There are two dealerships in Pretoria (Bavarian and Zambezi), but only one Club (not affiliated to either dealer)

* The Club organises rides for all brand of bikes, but mainly (not exclusively) for members of the Club, irrespective of bike brand and this has nothing to do with any dealership.

*The dealerships can organise their own rides for customers as they wish, this has nothing to do with the club.

I hope all this makes sense, it was a long day at work. Fellow comittee members, please add your comments if I left something out.

:laugh:
Subscribe here: www.etiennexplore.com/
Last Edit: 23 May 2011 16:48 by KnopKop.

Re: Toll Gates 23 May 2011 16:53 #9003

• Problem_Child
  • Catch me if you can!
Capish!
AKA Cliff Hanger

Re: Toll Gates 23 May 2011 16:56 #9004

• KnopKop
  • Stunt Rider
  • EtienneXplore
  • Thank you received: 61
Problem_Child wrote:
Capish!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Subscribe here: www.etiennexplore.com/

Re: Toll Gates 23 May 2011 17:20 #9006

• LeRoyOlivier
  • Catch me if you can!
  • Thank you received: 121
I tend to agree - I hope the culprit is a guest on our forum - personally i think such behaviour is not to be expected from a fellow BMW biker - i could understand if he moved through the boom with you that you both triggered the boom at the same time - that would have been acceptable - but this behaviour is not acceptable - the idiot should crawl back under the stone he came out from :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Re: Toll Gates 23 May 2011 17:33 #9009

• Marnus
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 142
The right thing to do is to agree upfront who will be paying and who will be slipping through - no unnecessary surprises :evil:

But the BEST thing to do is to find a pretty little road with no toll gates! :D

Re: Toll Gates 23 May 2011 17:48 #9012

• Problem_Child
  • Catch me if you can!
Marnus wrote:
But the BEST thing to do is to find a pretty little road with no toll gates! :D

GS rides Rule!
AKA Cliff Hanger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marnus

Re: Toll Gates 23 May 2011 19:22 #9020

• Tony
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 18
I agree, someone in the group knows who it is. The truth will out eventually

Re: Toll Gates 24 May 2011 05:48 #9030

• Pieter Willering
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 5
Maybe we should just find out his side of the story if someone can identify him. Why would he do something like this,and why was the boom closing.

I suspect that maybe he had an e-tag on his bike, opening the boom while the other guy paid at the same time. Then the boom will close after the guy went through.

I also use my e-tag on the bike, and often other riders think I am skipping the toll gates.

Agree whatever, he should have taken another lane.