Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "Your GPS is not road sign"

"Your GPS is not road sign" 03 Feb 2016 17:19 #42255

• TyrebenderZA
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 113
I received a fine in the post 2 days ago.

I was allegedly exceeding the speed limit of 60 km/h.

This is what I emailed to them:
Dear Sir / Madam

I have received your notice No. L/81/211603/XXX relating to me having allegedly exceeded the speed limit on 29 December 2016 and imposing a fine of R300.

I have a GPS receiver on my motorbike and according to its records, at 14h22:15, when I was allegedly speeding according to your notice, I was in fact stationary at the Exel garage, having a break and taking some photos. So almost 2 minutes before my alleged infringement I had already come to a complete stop.

I attach a picture of my Garmin Basecamp with the track details in confirmation of the above.

In the circumstances I cannot be held to have speeded at the time and speed you allege.

Kindly cancel your notice and fine, and let me have confirmation thereof.

Yours faithfully
A DAMHUIS[

This is what I got back this morning:
Dear Sir

The rules of the road can be find in the act 93/1996

Your GPS is not road sign . There is also no section , regulation or court case that states that GPS is accurate

Regulation 215 states that vehicle must have speedometer in good working order.

Attached image that your motorbike were in fact on the road traveling at 78km/h

Kind regards,

LEKWA-TEEMANE

I have read and re-read my email to them, and I cannot for the life of me find where I event hinted ... even a little bit that me GPS was in fact a road sign. Can someone perhaps enlighten me?

How do I now respond to this?
Do not read the contents of this post while operating a motorcycle, unless advised to do so by a physician.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Your GPS is not road sign" 04 Feb 2016 04:41 #42256

• Richard H
  • Catch me if you can!
  • Thank you received: 217
Write the same letter to the Prosecutor of the area.
Question the time stamp on the apparatus and query the calibration thereof.
Request proof of the latest date of calibration, which would include the date and time stamp.
If it was not correct then allege that the apparatus was being used outside the operating requirements.

PS: A GPS file that shows you standing still at the time of the picture could also prove you may have been exceeding the limit at another time though... :whistle:

"Your GPS is not road sign" 04 Feb 2016 05:55 #42259

• Kortgat
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 41
Lekwa is obviously a bit confused, but I suspect that a better argument from their side would have been to say that the EXACT time of offence is not the issue (unless that could prove that you were not on that road near that time), as the speed limits don't change according to time of day. The location of the offence is probably more appropriate here if we are talking about only minutes of difference, so what does your GPS log show your speed to be at the location of the alleged offence?

"Your GPS is not road sign" 04 Feb 2016 09:12 #42261

• pietersenj
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 107
Just don't pay it.....

they don't make any effort any more for fines less than R800, and to be honest in today's culture of poor admin by any department, the chance that you will get away with even a bigger fine is also very likely

even if they send you a reminder and reprimand and and and, and threaten you with a summons of arrest, nothing will still happen, because no where did you sign as proof of delivery for anything.......

You know you didn't speed, so don't loose any sleep over this any further....
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.....

"Your GPS is not road sign" 05 Feb 2016 14:09 #42273

• Giel
  • Stunt Rider
  • Thank you received: 263
Wonderwerke gebeur nog of is dit n tikfout : Jy gaan nog die snelheidsgrens oorskry:

"having allegedly exceeded the speed limit on 29 December 2016 and imposing a fine of R300." :pot:
R 1200 GSA K 51
K 1600 GT
1960 Triang Tricycle ( opgery)
Extreme Rider Gold
Last Edit: 05 Feb 2016 14:11 by Giel.

"Your GPS is not road sign" 05 Feb 2016 14:56 #42275

• VKFrikLT
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi Giel ek het soortgelyke geval gehad waar ek twee boetes gekry het , ek het google streetview gebruik en die berekening gedoen , afstand snelheid ens . Dis aanklaer in Christana het dit terug getrek . As jy detail soek ek behoort dit nog te kan kry .

"Your GPS is not road sign" 05 Feb 2016 15:17 #42276

• Giel
  • Stunt Rider
  • Thank you received: 263
Ek is seker die skrywer het n tikfout dit is nou Februarie 2016, Desember kom nog
R 1200 GSA K 51
K 1600 GT
1960 Triang Tricycle ( opgery)
Extreme Rider Gold

"Your GPS is not road sign" 07 Feb 2016 01:20 #42288

• Problem_Child
  • Catch me if you can!
  • I want to ride again tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 221
Unfortunately the official that responded is correct although she is probably not spelling it out correctly.

If you read the terms and conditions of your Garmin device, they do not advocate the use of the information in legal argument.

I have clearly simplified my comment here, but it boils down to them saying that you take the information from traffic signs and officials as superior in prevalence.

Pay it, don't pay it, but your information will most likely not help against an astute prosecuter. Depends on their knowledge of this and by the response you got it's at 50/50 odds I'd say.

Good luck.
AKA Cliff Hanger