Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 03 Sep 2015 12:43 #41371

• Richard H
  • Catch me if you can!
  • Thank you received: 217
Thank you, DavidDeB.
We have indeed come a long way together and I thank you for your remarks.
I think that you have proven to be the finest President of BMW Clubs International
since I have been involved in the BMW Club Family. :+
(BTW, I was most proud to nominate you as the Clubs Africa candidate at the time of your election to the post.)

I hear the counter response and respect the view and the honesty given. Thank you.
Democracy is disciplined dissent - otherwise we are sheep.

Each member must vote according to their own convictions.
It's not a right or wrong decision - it is just OUR name.
We collectively decide on what we want to be called as a group of passionate consumers
of motorcycles with The Roundel on the tank.

When the votes are counted and the decision is made, we close ranks again and go back to being riding buddies on the same bikes we love.

;)
Last Edit: 03 Sep 2015 12:44 by Richard H.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohanGT, BM13

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 03 Sep 2015 12:57 #41372

• DavidDeB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
100% agree Richard.

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 03 Sep 2015 17:10 #41373

• TyrebenderZA
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 113
Very interesting thread.

I will try and be there to vote.
But my vote now is definitely much more informed.
Looking forward to see what happens on the night.

See you there if it does not rain.
Do not read the contents of this post while operating a motorcycle, unless advised to do so by a physician.

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Sep 2015 12:40 #41380

• B2R
  • Stunt Rider
  • Life starts on a long distance ride
  • Thank you received: 231
For your information
Here is a copy of Article 3 of the Clubs Africa Constitution which refers to the responsibilities we as a club have to adhere to.

Article 3 Member Clubs
3.1 Member Clubs - Role
The role of a Member Club shall be to carry out the objectives of BMW Clubs Africa on behalf of its members.
3.2 Member Clubs – Operation and Powers
3.2.1 The Member Club’s operations shall be subject to the authority of BMW Clubs Africa and the Council.
3.2.2 The Member Club shall adhere to and comply with all written policies and procedures for Member Clubs as are issued by the Council from time to time, including the standards set by BMW Clubs International Council.
3.2.3 The Member Club shall not have the power to bind BMW Clubs Africa in any matter, unless authorised in writing by the Council to do so.
3.3 Membership Requirements
In order to grant or to maintain Membership, the Council shall be satisfied that a BMW club exists that is:
3.3.1 Capable of adhering to and carrying out the objectives of BMW Clubs Africa.
3.3.2 Capable of handling their administration and finance in a correct and proper manner.
3.3.3 Capable of upholding the name and reputation of BMW and of BMW Clubs Africa.
3.4 Membership
3.4.1 BMW Clubs Africa follows and adheres to the general guidelines for a Club as specified by BMW Clubs International Council.
3.4.2 Annual membership shall run from 1 January to 31 December of each year.
3.4.3 The Membership fees payable will be set annually at the Annual General Meeting.
3.4.3.1 Fees for the year will be due on 1 March.
3.4.3.2 It will be based on previous year’s membership as at 31 December of that year.
3.4.3.3 A register of the Member Club’s members together with either the Club’s Annual General Meeting minutes or the Club’s Chair’s annual report for the current year will be submitted with the payment. In case the Club’s Annual General Meeting occurs after the BMW Clubs Africa Annual General Meeting it needs to be submitted directly after the Club’s Annual General Meeting.
3.4.4 New Member Clubs joining during the year will pay a pro-rata amount for the current year.

I for one will have a serious problem for us having to hand over the confidential membership information which is entrusted by our members to the PTA club if that is the case as stated above.

I also want to know how much we are paying them as a club and what are they giving us in return money wise.
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2015 12:50 by B2R.

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Sep 2015 14:09 #41384

• DavidDeB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I am not sure how this is relevant to the Proposed Name Change discussion, but since asked - I'll try and answer this and hopefully enrich anybody interested with a better understanding.

Correct - this is the constitution and has been pretty much like this since 1994, updated a number of times (I have the original constitution if anybody is interested) And it has always been published on BMW Clubs Africa's website for public knowledge.

Membership fees to BMW Clubs Africa = R 10 per member. This is agreed annually by all the Clubs and hasn't changed in the last 10 years.

As to confidential information handover - I can only say that this has been the case since day 1 that Clubs was formed, it is treated purely for the purpose intended and as per the new POPI act that governing this in South Africa.

One example of "Return on Investment" that the Clubs get is an annual grant that is received from BMW SA - of which a portion is distributed back to Clubs. For the last number of years this has been R 25 or more per member.

Hopefully this wraps this thread now - see you all tonight.
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2015 15:23 by DavidDeB.

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Sep 2015 14:14 #41385

• BM13
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 412
Richard H wrote:

Each member must vote according to their own convictions.
It's not a right or wrong decision - it is just OUR name.
We collectively decide on what we want to be called as a group of passionate consumers
of motorcycles with The Roundel on the tank.

When the votes are counted and the decision is made, we close ranks again and go back to being riding buddies on the same bikes we love.

;)

Thank You Richard. This is so true...
The decision tonight to respond to concerns only the partial change of name, "Motorrad vs Motorcycle" in our Club name.

Maybe the other issues can be given to our Committee to address, after all, we have two esteemed members who represents us at Clubs Africa.

We as Club members may disagree/agree/all have our many points in all of this, but once done and dusted, we do what holds us together, enjoy our BMW's and keep on riding...and being friends. That's the beauty being on a motorcycle!

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Sep 2015 21:29 #41389

• Richard H
  • Catch me if you can!
  • Thank you received: 217
The votes were counted and there is no name change.

Now, let us close ranks again and go back to being riding :ricky: buddies on the same motorcycle we love.

Viva BMW Iqembule Isthuthuthu Epitoli Azanzi, Viva!

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Sep 2015 23:15 #41391

• BM13
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 412
Agree and we saw this after the meeting. It is done and dusted. Now for the better part, shared riding pleasure and enjoying each other as friends! :ricky:

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 05 Sep 2015 13:01 #41396

• Johan
  • Catch me if you can!
  • Thank you received: 233
Viva!!
I live to please, but don't always succeed

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 08 Sep 2015 08:55 #41427

• GSer
  • User
Ek is terug vanaf die Amageza 2015
Uit die aard van die saak kon ek nie die spesiale vergadering bygewoon het nie,
'n Verskooning vir die nie-bywoninng is vooraf aangebied, ek vertrou dit is aan die lede voorgelees tydens die vergadering.
Ek was voor die vergadering teen die naamsverandering dus is ek en Allie ( beide van ons is erelede) bly oor die keuse deur die lede teenwoordig gemaak om te hou by ons klub se huidige naam !