Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 02 Aug 2015 20:49 #41170

• Richard H
  • Catch me if you can!
  • Thank you received: 217
I am rather surprised to read in the latest RRR of a proposal, seemingly coming from BMW Clubs Africa, to change the name of the club.
:huh:
I for one would be most interested to hear:
1. What the reasoning behind this proposal is, and
2. Why the time frame is so urgent that a Special General Meeting is required to deal with the issue.

I request the Chairman to present the membership with all information in this regard, so that we may consider the matter calmly and in a reasoned manner. I do not want to be ambushed at a Special General Meeting and have to make up my mind in the heat of the moment. Also, members should know if they feel strongly enough about the proposal to attend the SGM.

Chairman...?
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2015 20:50 by Richard H.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giel, GSer

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 03 Aug 2015 17:18 #41175

• JohanGT
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 49
I will gladly supply the reasoning behind this in a RRR in order for everybody to make an informed decision.

Thanks Richard!

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 03 Aug 2015 21:53 #41181

• JohanGT
  • Pillion-friendly
Firstly let me say that it is not mandatory to change our name. We also do not have to change the acronym BMW MC Pretoria.

However, there are some important advantages to gain from aligning our club's name to those used internationally:

Alignment:
  • 1. BMW Motorcycles is internationally known as BMW Motorrad (German for motorcycle)
  • 2. All BMW marketing collateral, most of their dealers, and also events like BMW Motorrad Days use "motorrad" instead of "motorcycle"
  • 3. We are immediately associated with the rest of the fraternity. For example – at BMW Motorrad Days 2015 scheduled for Clarens there will be BMW Motorrad stalls, BMW Motorrad dealers and BMW Motorrad Clubs. By using "motorrad" we will be seen as part of the unit

Leverage:
  • 1. By aligning we will be able to leverage the relationship with BMW Motorrad - for example they could create marketing collateral for BMW Motorrad Days etc. for the clubs which we could use as is

And finally
  • 1. Although there has been no financial commitment given as yet, in preliminary discussions requests for financial support to make these changes have been received positively
  • 2. Assistance would be provide with the change of all logos
  • 3. The request is not for Clubs to throw away their history, regalia, etc. This will be a gradual phasing out of old regalia as new regalia becomes available

Timing
  • 1. Early in June the Committees of all 11 Motorcycle clubs in SA were asked to give their vote for the name change. All responded positive with the proviso that their members agreed.
  • 2. Early in July the chairpersons were asked to get their members’ vote by means of a SGM by latest end of September.
  • 3. If the proposal for the name change is accepted, the idea is to launch the new name with the possibility of new regalia to clubs at the BMW Motorrad Days in November.

So you can see that the suggested change is not a fundamental change of our clubs character but rather an alignment to the rest of the BMW motorcycle community.
Last Edit: 03 Aug 2015 22:03 by JohanGT.

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Aug 2015 00:13 #41183

• Problem_Child
  • Catch me if you can!
  • I want to ride again tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 221
Very interesting, as a newer member of the club, I can't see any drawbacks from this, and look to the more senior members for guidance.

Any thoughts?
AKA Cliff Hanger

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Aug 2015 10:01 #41185

• Beancounter
  • Licensed to ride
  • Thank you received: 15
I am happy to change the name. As a fairly new member I also would like to hear what the old dogs of the club has to say.

Alex
Alex van der Horst
2010 F800GS

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Aug 2015 18:21 #41194

• Nielvn
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 34
I am fine with it as long as the Pretoria stays there, i.e. Pretoria motorrad club".

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Aug 2015 21:23 #41197

• JohanGT
  • Pillion-friendly
There was an error in the RRR: The idea for the name change actually originated from BMW Clubs Africa and not from BMW Motorrad.

The name change will not influence the "BMW MC Pretoria" which is actually quite nice. It will also have no impact on the character of our club. It will however align us with the greater picture as far as the naming is concerned.

BMW is continuously developing new products and we will be inundated with changes in product lines. There are very exciting products that BMW is working on and we could see major additions to the products that are currently on sale.

I guess if you are associated with a brand like BMW, you have the freedom to choose classic or, like me, the brand new R 1200 RT - what a lovely bike! My wife always laughs at my smile when I get off the bike but I cannot help it.

But wait, I am way off the point now. (I use any excuse I can to talk about our new baby) :heart:
Last Edit: 04 Aug 2015 21:36 by JohanGT.

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 04 Aug 2015 21:42 #41198

• cruizaman
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
I see only advantages to the proposed name-change and no disadvantages. As a club we should move with the times and not hang on to the old name for its own sake. The only possible argument for keeping the word "motorcycle" instead of "motorrad" can be for nostalgic reasons. In my view that shouldn't win the day.

I will support the proposed name-change.
Dana du Plessis
R1200GSA

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 31 Aug 2015 21:24 #41328

• Richard H
  • Catch me if you can!
  • Thank you received: 217
I have been thinking long and hard and quietly and here is my view. Use it or toss it, you vote is your own.

Alignment:
•BMW Motorcycles is internationally known as BMW Motorrad (German for motorcycle)
The BMW Clubs are not part of BMW’s corporate structure. At this time, the Clubs are neither owned nor are they controlled by BMW AG or its companies. The Club already has a written contract with BMW AG allowing use of BMW AG’s trademarks, namely the Roundel and the letters “BMW”, within the conditions and terms as required by BMW AG. These terms do NOT require alignment to BMW company names (e.g. BMW Motorrad).
Within the BMW Club structures, the language of all communications world-wide is ENGLISH. BMW Clubs around the world use “Motorrad” “Motorcycle” “Moto” in their club names. The use of the word “Motorrad” is NOT a requirement under the contract with BMW AG.

•All BMW marketing collateral, most of their dealers, and also events like BMW Motorrad Days use "Motorrad" instead of "motorcycle"

The BMW Clubs are not part of BMW’s marketing structure. They are independent legal entities, belonging solely to the members who ride and love the machines produced by the company.

•We are immediately associated with the rest of the fraternity. For example – at BMW Motorrad Days 2015 scheduled for Clarens there will be BMW Motorrad stalls, BMW Motorrad dealers and BMW Motorrad Clubs.

The Club’s association as CUSTOMERS is with the PRODUCTS, not the company structure, its dealer network or its marketing policies and strategies.

•By using "Motorrad" we will be seen as part of the unit.

I, for one, have an inherent distrust of corporate business strategies. By aligning the name of the Club to the BMW Corporate image, there is a real risk that members and other persons will see the Clubs as nothing more than an extension of the BMW corporate structure, dealer network and a marketing strategy. The Club’s independence established over decades will be lost in the eyes of the public and the opportunity for undue influence into the Club’s affairs by corporate interests is a matter of concern to me.

Leverage:

•By aligning we will be able to leverage the relationship with BMW Motorrad - for example they could create marketing collateral for BMW Motorrad Days etc. for the clubs which we could use as is.

BMW Motorrad Days are marketing events arranged by the Manufacturer, Distributor and Dealer network.
They are NOT individual Club events and they are not events arranged by the umbrella body, BMW Clubs Africa.

•Although there has been no financial commitment given as yet, in preliminary discussions requests for financial support to make these changes have been received positively
•Assistance would be provide with the change of all logos
•The request is not for Clubs to throw away their history, regalia, etc. This will be a gradual phasing out of old regalia as new regalia becomes available
Timing
•Early in June the Committees of all 11 Motorcycle clubs in SA were asked to give their vote for the name change. All responded positive with the proviso that their members agreed.

Perhaps I am hyper-sensitive to having a mandate to speak on behalf of others. Having previously served on Clubs Africa representing the Club, I personally would not have agreed to any such initiative without FIRST consulting with my Club members or the Committee at least. I query the mandate of the CA representatives to agree in principle to any name change without such consultation. The tail is wagging the dog on this.

•Early in July the chairpersons were asked to get their members’ vote by means of a SGM by latest end of September.
•If the proposal for the name change is accepted, the idea is to launch the new name with the possibility of new regalia to clubs at the BMW Motorrad Days in November.

Clearly, a massive marketing opportunity is being pursued in this initiative.
I therefore fundamentally question the initiatives motives.

The Club's members must vote according to their own convictions. I highly value the independence we have built in the club over the last decades without having risked close cooperation with the dealer, distributor or manufacturer.

Having carefully and coldly considered all pros and cons, I will be voting NO to the name change.

Special General Meeting - Proposed Name Change 31 Aug 2015 22:26 #41331

• JohanGT
  • Pillion-friendly
And that is why it is great that every person will be allowed to vote for themselves.
It is true that it is not compulsory for us to change our club's name - it will only happen if our club feels that it will be appropriate.

I am not going to use this forum to try and convince anybody what they should vote for. I clearly stated what the reasons were for contemplating this change.

At the meeting every person will have an opportunity to voice their opinion, but their opportunity to dominate the meeting and try to convince others that their ideas are the only valid ones will be limited. The Club's members must vote according to their own convictions and not our personal convictions.

People voting against this motion are not Old Fashioned and people voting for this motion are not New Age thinkers. This is not a case of somebody trying to railroad us into something, having dark plans with our club or the terrorists behind the iron curtain causing havoc. It is a couple of people who saw an opportunity for change and will accept it if not all the clubs follow their idea.

We will not take offense at anybody who votes NO and we will not take offense at anybody voting YES. This is not a matter serious enough to cause division in our Club, it is simply a proposed name change. The name is not going to change our character whether it changes or remains the same.