Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What GS to choose?

What GS to choose? 08 May 2015 10:46 #40268

• Fanie1972
  • User
Hallo all.

Im in the market for a GS.
Presently riding a Honda NC750X and very happy.
But its time for more and better adventures.
Here is the problem.
Im not a big guy
65kg 1.74m long.
Dont want to end up with a bike I hate because I cant handle it due to weight.
Lol BMW is adiment the 1200 is okey for me. But maby they just want the sale.

Please let me know what you guys experienced.

THANKS
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What GS to choose? 08 May 2015 11:03 #40272

• Smartie
  • Thank you received: 343
Fanie

Welcome to our forum. Please introduce yourself.

My opinion is to take the different model for a test drive and experience the rides to determine on what MC you feel comfortable.

Would advise a training course as well. It is always a good investment and the results will advance your riding experience

That is my 2C
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fanie1972

What GS to choose? 08 May 2015 11:24 #40274

• Problem_Child
  • Catch me if you can!
  • I want to ride again tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 221
Here's my 2c

Yes, there is always a concern about the weight and height of the 1200, but I have found that all that this means is that you need to adapt you riding. This sounds more difficult than it actually is and there are many courses that help. I am no genius at it, but I have plenty of fun.

The question really should be, when is the bike heavy and difficult to manage? The only time I have found it difficult to manage is when it is moving slowly or stopped. Is it such a problem dropping the bike - my opinion - No. So you drop it, so what, pick it up and carry on, who cares? The bike doesn't care....... it's designed to handle it and there are many covers available to protect the important bits.

And so a change in perception is necessary and an example of this would be where one is in a situation where one is battling the bike through some slow 'technical" riding and you get yourself into a position where you are off balance and there is a chance of dropping the bike. The perception change here is that it the bike is capable of handling the impact and it is going down - get out of the way! It is much easier to pick it up than to hold it up. It falls on the pots sticking out on the sides and so the bike doesn't lie flat on the ground, furthermore these pots are protected - assuming you take a bike with the covers (highly recommended.). To lift it from there is not as difficult as it seems. My wife does it without any trouble.

I am 1,79m, so not much taller than yourself, however I am somewhat a of fat-ass at 91kg's and I learned to ride on a 1200.

Here's another thought, have you measured the height of the other bikes on offer? I have a 2008 1200 and the seat is lower than an 800 and even my wife's 700. The Adventure is higher than the std 1200...... Just saying.

Please think very carefully about this. I would not be happy if I were to influence you and you get hurt. It all depends on your proficiency!

Hope this helps. If you would like to see some 1200's in action, come and see the "Skills challenge" and you will get a good idea of what can be done with the 1200.
AKA Cliff Hanger
Last Edit: 08 May 2015 11:32 by Problem_Child.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smartie, Fanie1972

What GS to choose? 11 May 2015 06:22 #40299

• Kortgat
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 41
Hi Fanie,

I agree with the comments given this far. You have to decide what you will be doing with the bike and how much of it. I'm 1.7m and <65kg. I tour quite a bit 2-up with luggage (some tar and some dirt), and my 1200 is perfect for what I do. Yes on the odd occasion when I have to stop and maneuver on a steep gravel/rocky climbing turn the bike is suddenly very heavy and clumsy, but for what I do most it's perfect and feels feather-light.

I've ridden the 800GS on a few occasions but on tar only and was pleasantly surprised. It is however taller than my 1200 and I always enjoyed getting back onto my monster. Then again, I believe it is easier to lower the 800 if you really want to go that route.

Good luck with the decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Problem_Child

What GS to choose? 14 May 2015 21:02 #40362

• TyrebenderZA
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 113
I also am considering upgrading.

For me its either the 800GS or the 1200GS.

I want the 800GS for the seat height (I am quite tall).
I think the 800 has more then enough power for what I want to use it for.

But the 1200 will be more comfortable 2 up on long distance with luggage.

But I am not sure if spending all that extra money for those 2 or 3 times a year that I will be touring with the wife will be worth it. ...
But that 1200 is a damn good looking bike.
Do not read the contents of this post while operating a motorcycle, unless advised to do so by a physician.

What GS to choose? 15 May 2015 11:27 #40373

• pietersenj
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 107
after what you said on your own thoughts and mindset wrt 800 vs 1200, then go for the 1200!

you won't regret it any day!!!
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.....

What GS to choose? 15 May 2015 22:29 #40385

• TyrebenderZA
  • Pillion-friendly
  • Thank you received: 113
If I had to toss a coin in the air and hope for the answer ... it would be the 1200.
Do not read the contents of this post while operating a motorcycle, unless advised to do so by a physician.

What GS to choose? 15 May 2015 22:40 #40386

• Piet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Fanie1972 wrote:
Hallo all.
Dont want to end up with a bike I hate because I cant handle it due to weight.
Lol BMW is adiment the 1200 is okey for me. But maby they just want the sale.

Please let me know what you guys experienced.

THANKS

First: What type of riding do you currently do and what type of riding do you want to do or see yourself doing.
Two-up or only you, tar mainly or dual purpose or more technical etc.

Back to the 1200. It is one of the bikes with the lowest seat and easiest to pick up when you topple over. Amazingly agile and a great tourer.
An 800 is good value for money and a great bike for the more off-road stuff. Seat height is fairly high and my experience it is difficult to pick up when totally flat on it's side.
Maybe a 700 or 650 might also be an option depending on what you are looking for.