Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carbon tax !!

Carbon tax !! 26 Jul 2010 13:39 #892

• PC2E
  • Stunt Rider
  • Thank you received: 8
From 1 September carbon dioxide (CO2) emission tax will be introduced on new cars and light commercial vehicles (LCVs) and this will raise the retail price!

(buy now!!!!)

Above a threshold of 120g of CO2 emitted per kilometre, buyers of new cars and LCVs will pay R75 for each g/km.

It could add R1 500 to the price of a small runabout and R20 000 to the price of a big-engine utility vehicle (SUV). :(

Currently thay are not saying anything on motorcycles ! :)

So, let's wait and see.
GMT Motorcycles
Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010 13:43 by PC2E.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Carbon tax !! 26 Jul 2010 16:54 #894

• Revs
  • Stunt Rider
  • Thank you received: 12
O lovely, more taxes.... I love paying tax and having been looking for opportunities to pay even more. At least I have the full confidence that the government will be using the tax for its intended purposes... does any of our ministers have a yacht yet? :angry: :angry: :angry:
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Re: Carbon tax !! 26 Jul 2010 17:11 #898

• FrancoG
  • Got my learners
  • Thank you received: 1
This is unfortunately only the start of Carbon Taxes.

In other countries most people have to submit their Carbon Footprint much in the same vein as Income Tax Return, and which are then taxed accordingly.

Re: Carbon tax !! 26 Jul 2010 17:14 #899

• Marnus
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 142
Will this apply to new vehicles only, or to the second hand market too?

Re: Carbon tax !! 26 Jul 2010 17:58 #907

• FrancoG
  • Got my learners
At the moment its only to new vehicles, but there is going to be legislation in the near future to apply the carbon tax on older vehicles and its all in line with each persons carbon footprinnt that they leave on mother earth.

In Europe for instance, you hardly ever see a motor car that is older than a certain number of years, In Italy for example (not sure of other Euro Countries) the government gives you a subsidy to buy a new vehicle and to take the old vehicle off the road as it does not meet the Euro Emmission Standards.

There was an article on this forum where for instance the Boxer Motor was going to be watercooled in order to meet the new 2012 Euro Emmission standards which is more or less in line with the Kyoto Agreement of SA is also a siganture party.

We can expect the same type of laws imposed over here.

All this is to combat Global Warming...which will be the biggest challenge that humankind will face and its already a great problem worldwide...It just needs people to understand what it is all about.

Re: Carbon tax !! 26 Jul 2010 18:21 #911

• PC2E
  • Stunt Rider
Remember the times when the air was clean and sex was dirty?

Times are changing!
GMT Motorcycles

Re: Carbon tax !! 26 Jul 2010 19:59 #923

• Marnus
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 142
FrancoG wrote:
All this is to combat Global Warming...which will be the biggest challenge that humankind will face and its already a great problem worldwide...It just needs people to understand what it is all about.

I saw an interesting programme on TV some time ago (probably National Geographic) where some scientists are actually of the opinion that the "green house effect" or global warming is actually a natural phenomenon. It's been happening in cycles for as long as time itself - something to do with measuring the thickness of ice by drilling into glaciers...

Anyway - who says that we didn't "discover" the hole in the ozone layer at exactly the same time we were able to actually measure something like that? Now all of a sudden, the entire world is in a rush to save itself from something that may very well be totally natural!

For a start, we should probably start planting some forests to replace what we're using, and look for alternatives to fossil fuels. In my opinion not to replenish the ozone layer, but because it won't last forever. And even then... necessity is the mother of invention!

Re: Carbon tax !! 27 Jul 2010 06:25 #930

• PC2E
  • Stunt Rider
A single mature tree can absorb carbon dioxide at a rate of 48 lbs./year and release enough oxygen back into the atmosphere to support 2 human beings.

Start planting some forest - "quote Marnus"
GMT Motorcycles

Re: Carbon tax !! 27 Jul 2010 15:10 #941

• FrancoG
  • Got my learners
Global Warming is caused by solely by Humans...

There is a good video documentary called "An Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore...It makes for some very worrying thoughts..

Re: Carbon tax !! 27 Jul 2010 17:59 #943

• Richard H
  • Catch me if you can!
  • Thank you received: 217
PC2E wrote:
A single mature tree can absorb carbon dioxide at a rate of 48 lbs./year and release enough oxygen back into the atmosphere to support 2 human beings.

Start planting some forest
We should all mark every event worth remembering by planting a tree.
How about Saturday at the Bramley 50th?

When I die, all I want is a tree planted - instead of a gravestone. :huh:
  • Page: